We are racing in Eastside Baby Corner’s Diaper Derby!
That’s right. Changes. I think just about all of us have experience with changes; diaper changes, that is. But could you imagine having to shake out that dirty diaper and reuse it? More than once? How about a wet one, lined with McDonald’s napkins because there are no other options? How gross! Imagine that sweet little baby bottom covered in awful rashes because there is no money for diapers. Imagine the wailing of a newborn, or a wheelchair bound- child because they must sit in a soiled diaper all day.
Well, we’re not having any of it! With the start of the Triple Crown, RE/MAX Alliance is jumping into the horse derby frenzy. In fact, we have conjured up a race horse named “SADDLE UP” and we are racing to gather diapers for the Eastside Baby Corner’s Diaper Derby!
The competition is fierce and we need your help each week to win! Our goal is to collect 11,500 diapernd $11,500 by June 7.
Here are ways you can help us win the Derby:
Drop off your diaper donation in our collection bin!
OR donate and we will go buy the diapers for you.
Fast facts on #DIAPERNEED
What is diaper need?
- Diaper need is the lack of a regular supply of diapers to keep a baby clean, dry, and healthy.
- Infants require up to 12 diapers each day, toddlers about 8, at a cost of up to $80 per month per baby.
- Without transportation, buying diapers at a convenience store rather than a “big box”store can significantly increase the monthly cost of diapers.
How many families struggle with diaper need?
- 1 in 3 families struggle with diaper need.
- 5.2 million children in the U.S. aged three or younger live in poor and low-income families.
- Government safety-net programs – including food stamps and WIC – don’t recognize diapers as a basic need and do not provide funding for diapers.
What is the impact of diaper need?
- Diaper need impacts the physical, mental, and economic well-being of children and families.
- Most childcare centers require parents to provide disposable diapers.
- Without diapers, babies can’t participate in early childhood education programs.
- Without childcare, parents can’t go to work or school.
What is a diaper bank?
- Diaper banks are nonprofit organizations that focus on addressing diaper need by collecting, storing, and distributing free diapers to struggling families.
- Diaper banks obtain diapers through local diaper drives, in-kind donations, and by purchasing diapers directly with donated funds.
- EBC is a member of the National Diaper Bank Network (NDBN), a nationwide nonprofit dedicated to eliminating diaper need in America and to helping to meet the need of all babies and their families.